Home > Bicknoller

Bicknoller Bells

Bicknoller’s bells

Bicknoller’s tower houses six bells, weighing between 4cwt and 10cwt, with the tenor bell tuned to F#.  The earliest bell (No 4) dates from c 1420, when it was cast by Exeter Foundry.  Bells 5 and 6 were both cast in 1657 by the Purdue Foundry;  and bell 3 dates from 1702, cast by Wroth of Somerset,  Bell 2, the former treble, was cast in 1830 by Rudhall, of Gloucester, for St Saviour’s Church, Larkhall, near Bath.  When the bells were rehung in 1992, this (fifth) bell was purchased through the Keltek Trust, who rehouse redundant bells, through the generosity of two villagers in memory of their late husbands. 

In 2012, another redundant bell, from All Saints Church, High Wycombe, was obtained through the Keltek Trust as a Jubilee Bell, as a result of a Bicknoller Village Jubilee Appeal.  This bell had been cast at Loughborough in 1963 to commemorate the visit of HM The Queen to High Wycombe.  This sixth bell was hung by Matthew Higby, of Bath.

The heavy oak bell frame, which supports the bells, was constructed c1890 by Sullys of Stogumber to carry the four bells held at that time.

For many years the bells were not regularly rung, but regular ringing was resumed in about 1998.  We currently (2013) are blessed with about a dozen regular bellringers in this village, and are able to ring for all services for which ringing is appropriate, and for other special occasions and celebrations, such as the Queen’s 2012 Diamond Jubilee, weddings and the London Olympic Games.  We usually practice on Monday nights.

Peter Darke, Tower Captain, 2013.

 

Up she goes! The new bell being raised.

Up she goes!  The new bell being raised to the bell chamber.

 

A tight squeeze even for the very professional installers

 

The new bell finally secured on its mounting.

 

 


Bicknoller
Webpage icon Bicknoller
Webpage icon Bicknoller Jubilee bell
Printer Printable Version